Twitter Follow Me

“ It is not enough to take steps which may some day lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day Fourteen: Trying to keep my cool

Published by Meg at 8:05 AM

Things are getting really stressful for me. It's Valentine's Day, my boyfriend won't talk to me, classes start in two days, tomorrow's my second weigh-in, and I have to work 11 hours today--surrounded by candy. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't even think about eating any of it and maintaining a positive attitude, but I'm not superman and 11 hours is a long time. Luckily, I'm bringing lots of healthy food and grabbing some subway for lunch. Now I just need to bring some distractions.

Read an interesting article posted by Carissa at Have You Seen My Weight? about weight loss in men compared to in women. Pretty interesting. One thing that struck me was the visceral fat vs peripheral fat--the visceral fat in the abdomen is much unhealthier, but also easier to lose, men being more likely to have fat here. I am apple shaped; I've always hated it. Despite that it's so unhealthy to have fat in this region, I'm kind of glad it'll be easier to lose than the weight in my thighs and arms (which isn't as considerable)? Yeah had to phrase that in a question. Still not sure ease outweighs the potential danger I've put myself in by being this fat.

I've been thinking a lot about my health lately. Being that I don't have health insurance anymore and can't get it since I'm obese--not to mention can't afford it--I worry. Back when I used to get seen when I was going to school at Cal, my health was alright. Triglycerides were a bit high, but cholesterol was normal, as was my blood sugar (something I need to keep a close eye on, not only because I'm overweight, but because my mom has type I diabetes). Though, back then I weighed 50lbs less and I was much more active. I have to say, since I've been eating better I sure feel better. I'd feel even better if I would exercise, even if it's just hooking my wii up and playing some DDR. Might do that after this. I keep blaming my depression for my lack of energy and ambition. Can't keep doing that anymore. It only makes it worse and exercise and diet are proven to combat depression. Definitely time to get off my arse.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll get there Meg. You're doing great so far, despite everything that's going on in your life. Sometimes, life puts things in our way, but when you overcome them, you will feel so much stronger. Keeping everything crossed for you *hugs*

Post a Comment