Twitter Follow Me

“ It is not enough to take steps which may some day lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day One: Expectations and Goals (repost)

Published by Meg at 5:32 PM

Having grandiose plans to lose weight and actually having practical goals are two separate things, I suppose. Every time I've tried in the past, I've aimed towards the improbable--not thinking for once that I was already one foot in the "grave." So this time, I'm changing my mindset before I change my lifestyle.

Expectations

  • I will be honest, not just with others, but also with myself: For me, this isn't the easiest part. Most of the people I know and keep in contact with are friends I have met online--which keeps who I am and what I look like comfortably anonymous. And not that I really believe that I have to divulge more information than makes me comfortable, it allows room for the illusion to cloud my own vision of myself.
  • Takes things slowly, one step at a time: In the past I've always rushed, frantic to start losing--and only fell flat on my face. Now I realize than in order to succeed, I need a strong foundation, and that means speed isn't a priority.
  • Make changes for life, not for right now: This isn't a diet. I won't stop eating things because "when I'm thin I won't have to worry so much." When I'm healthy and at my goal weight, I'll still have the same predisposition to put on weight--that's genetic and metabolic. I have to change the way I approach and feel about food.

Goals

  • To adopt a regular exercise routine by the end of February.
  • To eat a well balanced diet, with fewer processed foods, more fruits and vegetables, and less fats.
  • To not brood on failure, but to see each relapse or misstep as a learning experience.
  • To reach my goal weight within two years time: 150lbs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment